Saturday, March 9, 2013

Last Blog


I although I do not think that I will ever have to use the things I have learned in AE 510 in the near future, I know that this class has made me think in a different way especially when it comes to intelligent design. While I was preparing my senior seminar poster, I started thinking about the topic I had researched (Traffic Analysis Software) in a different way. Even before I took AE 510, I had an idea that our highway systems could change according to the amount of cars on the roadway. The lane medians instead of being concrete could be made of bollards that that could expand or retract one side of the highway to accommodate the amount of traffic. When it comes to construction of buildings, I think that over the course of my career I will most definitely have to learn how to use BIM on a professional level. And not just BIM programs such as Revit but also programs that will deal with stormwater management, structural engineering, etc. I do not however think that these programs will create a standard language so that all these programs can work together. I think there will be too much money to be made by keeping these programs from reaching their full potential of intelligence. When it comes to stormwater management which, I have mainly worked on during my co-op experiences, I can see very good uses for BIM and databases when it comes to designing things like bio-retention areas, dry wells, cisterns, etc. As for the class, I don’t think I would change anything except for maybe introducing the class to more BIM software. As I noted before I think there should be development of BIM software dealing with different areas of construction not just for buildings. Doing a quick search, it seems that there are BIM programs for what I noted but they seem to still be in their infancy. I agree with what Matthew Tedesco said when he mentioned that out work as engineers affect people in many different ways. I would also add that some of our work is not necessarily appreciated because it can not be seen. Things such as taking time to consider how a building should be constructed to save money, to have a more efficient construction, and to lessen environmental impacts. 



http://www3.villanova.edu/vusp/Outreach/pasym11/lidpdfs/66_4west.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment