Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Class Reflection


It is the final week of this quarter and the intelligent building class goes to end. Based on 10 week study, I expanded my knowledge on building aspect; moreover, I learned several things both on technology and learning method. It is well beyond my expection.  
For technology, it gives me the opportunity to deal with BIM and database.  Compared with the first few weeks when I barely know what BIM is, now I can run Revit and draw something with it. It is a great progress to me. The practice is necessary and usually cost more time but less effort than I expect, however, I get a deeper understanding on how it works and when the building design is finished, the feeling of creation is good and we play with it more, focusing on the better developing model and more application of Revit such as cost analysis. Although it is only a preliminary try, we enjoy the process and it is worth the time. When the class is over, I still want to work on that to develop a better version.  Thanks to the class I find another powerful software---access, one type of databases.  When I did the homework, I realized I can combine my research record into it to make a better organization.  Gabrielle Carpenter’s said she use access daily to manage her finances, I agree that is a good idea.
In addition, I also appreciate the guest lecture on  sensors in the service of increasing building efficiency and database as Xiang said. They give me a more clear understanding on what I have learned because when I read the material, sometimes it is abstract and the guest lectures bring the material into real life. Moreover, the database lecture from Dr. II-Yeol Song also addressed several specific problems which I met in the practice. It really helped me a lot.
The more important thing I learn from this lecture is the self-study spirit. Unlike other class, which I can only focused on the questions and seek for the answers, this class addresses more on the exploring part. We need to find the knowledge by ourselves, especially for the update of blog.  Just because of that,  I develop my ability both on writing and reading. For example, for the first blog I needed two days to collect information, but for the last one, the same extent of searching only cost me three hours and I can spend more time on correcting the logic and structure.
In general, this lecture is designed to open-minded and we can bring whatever we learned from class, mostly by ourselves.  Although I have the same feeling as Cifligu that the material presented is plenty against this short time. I think it is the main purpose that to introduce all intelligent building based concepts during 10 weeks as Rita Pauliushchyk  said.  Based on the understanding of aspects I interested, I can further explore the extent.   

No comments:

Post a Comment