Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Class Reflection

AE 510 was an illuminating class. In fact for a novice like me, in both database technology and BIM, this class opened new doors to solving engineering problems. I found that Professor Mitchell’s formatting of this class was simplistic to the point where novice users of BIM and database software could acquire basic skills in the aforesaid areas without being confused. I have tried to take database courses at a community college and found myself quite confused due to improper communication from the teacher to the student. Professors Mitchell’s tutorials were excellent in helping one learn how to use Microsoft Access. I also found that his tutorials on BIM were most beneficial. I can honestly say that, even though I had no prior experience with BIM, that I am leaving this class confident that I can use BIM’s basic functions. This is a big resume booster.
Elda Cifligu makes a valid point that it is impossible to cover the broad spectrum of “Intelligent Buildings” in one ten-week course. I agree.  However, I believe the intention of the course was not to produce experts of intelligent design, but instead to open the door to the concepts. I found that Professor Mitchell’s approach to this class was quite ingenious; covering a wide variety of topics from robotics to sensors while providing the students with basic software savvy.
I disagree with David Morrison’s idea on grading. The measure of a class’s worth should not be a degree on how easy it is to get a grade, but rather how much one learns in the class. I can say from experience that I have had classes where I have labored for hours trying to walk away with a decent grade and found that my knowledge fell short (even though I got an A). On the other hand I have had classes with minimal assignments and very easy tests and found that I have superior knowledge on the subject. This class provided me with exactly what it had promised. I left with a basic awareness of Intelligent Buildings while gaining a fundamental knowledge of BIM and Access.

No comments:

Post a Comment