Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Course Reflection


Coming into this course, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. My intention behind taking the course was that it would fill a professional elective requirement and the class name "Intelligent Building" sounded like it could be interesting.

After taking this class, I am leaving this term with a much more realistic view on where the engineering and construction industries are going.  Going through the core architectural engineering classes, I have focused more on the academic aspect and have only been given a glimpse of the real life engineering industry through my co-op positions.  This class allowed me to explore and reflect on technologies such as robotics, sensors, BIM and databases and how those technologies can be applied in engineering and construction.

Professor Mitchell tended to focus on the possibilities of these technologies and encouraged us to discuss the most extreme developments and uses possible. The speakers we had in class were a helpful balance by providing us with a more realistic perspective on how these technologies are currently being used and developed.  I enjoyed learning about BIM from Eric of KlingStubbins because I was able to see the possibilities that BIM offers and how it can be applied when designing real life building systems.

No comments:

Post a Comment