Sunday, March 10, 2013

Course Reflection

Overall, I found this course to be a thought provoking one. Previous to the first class, I thought that the primary focus of the course would be learning how to utilize Building Information Modeling systems, in particular Revit. However, I soon realized  that there would be much more depth to the curriculum. I had absolutely no knowledge of databases and their relevance to engineering before entering this course. I believe that the best way to prepare for future changes in your field is remain up to date with the current methods being utilized so that any "revolutionary" technology doesn't take you by complete surprise. I think that engaging in thought provoking conversations regarding the future of architecture and engineering got all of us excited, and a little bit scared about what was to come in the field. On a personal level, I had an experience recently while at an interview where the CEO of the company was describing a revolutionary technology that he had been developing for the past fifteen years. Thanks to this course, I had a much deeper understanding of databases and the implementation of software that links into BIM. Even having the very basic understanding that we developed in this course greatly assisted me in being able to understand the concepts behind the process in developing this very complicated software. This was just one example of what I'm sure will be many to come in my future in Architectural Engineering.
While it is extremely important to have the fundamentals and foundations of engineering that will never change, it is vital to remain current with technological trends. What may seem like a fad, will become a regular and necessary technology in the engineering process. For this reason, it is important for courses like "Intelligent Buildings" to exist to keep our minds open to the changing technologies and techniques so that we're not blind sided in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment