Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Class Reflection

I want not sure what exactly to expect when I signed up for this class. I only knew BIM so far as that Revit was a part of it somehow. Even after the first day when Prof. Mitchell told us what to expect in the class, it still turned out different then what i thought. This class turned out to be one of the most interesting classes as the variety of things it covered was surprisingly vast.

The class started as one might expect, talking about buildings and what goes into making them. However the class quickly went into a more 'what if' mind set instead of talking about what is currently the standard. This aspect of the class made it much more interesting than any other class I have taken so far. Looking at what the future could hold for out profession was fascinating.

While I'm sure a couple people got a little bored by the database information, I personally really enjoyed that portion as I am always striving to increase my computer/programming knowledge. This is the portion of the class I was also least expecting, why would AE/CIVE/ENVEs be doing database stuff? However it was quickly shown through the speakers and by in class discussion how the tools we really on the most, AutoCAD and basically any computer drawing program, are all just advanced databases.

The professional speakers brought in through out the course also helped provide some real world context to what we were talking about in class. This was especially helpful in some of the topics that were unfamiliar such as the use of augmented reality programs and how involved databases are.

The new things I learned in this class were Revit families and basic database information. The Revit families will be a very useful skill through out my career so getting a start on it now was very useful. While the database exercise was interesting, I am not sure how useful it will be to be in the future.

Like many of the other students have been saying, 10 weeks is not quite enough time to cover all the information this class could present. However I believe professor Mitchell is taking this into consideration and making a whole AE concentration based on digital buildings which, from my understanding, would have whole courses based to Revit and databases, things we covered in a couple weeks in this course.

I actually completely disagree with David Morrison when he talks about the assignments piling up. Other than the project which we had more than ample warning would sneak up on us, I did not think that the workload was that bad, I actually find AE 391 to be a busier course; a blog post every week is certainly easier than a whole website every week Then again, maybe, thanks to Drexel, I have become desensitized to a heavy work load.

No comments:

Post a Comment