Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Course Reflections


I can certainly say that AE 510 exceeded my expectations. When I signed up for the course I thought that we would just talk about the main concepts of intelligent buildings and BIM, but there were many more subjects covered in these 10 weeks. The interesting part was that these subjects were new to me or hadn’t worked with before. For example, the database assignments were very interesting because, not only I learnt how to develop one, but also the different applications databases can be used in - I had never thought that I would use databases to help conduct my work. I really enjoyed the fact that this course is interactive and that we each learn from each other. I learnt a lot from the guest speakers that visited throughout the term. Their presentations were enjoyable and interesting.

However, I think that 10 weeks is not enough to cover all the concepts mentioned in AE 510; sometimes I felt rushed due to the amount of material presented in this short time. I wish we had concentrated more on fewer concepts that are more relevant in my opinion, for instance BIM softwares. If I had one or two more weeks dedicated on BIM, I would probably try and develop a more complete drawing, or I would attempt to integrate families. Additionally, as Maria mentioned in her blog, it would be extremely helpful to have all the assignment descriptions and requirements in one folder/location instead of multiple ones; it got complicated sometimes for no reason.

Overall, I believe that this course was very beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment